Monday, October 22, 2012

Hadlee's Homeschool - Field trip to A & H Orchards

                    Field trip to A & H Orchards

It wouldn't be fall without a trip to the apple orchard. Picking apples has always been one of my favorite fall activities. I set up a field trip for the kids to our small family orchard. All of the children's parents had signed a permission slip for them to leave on the field trip. They all brought car seats and bagged lunches. We had a small meeting before the trip to talk about safety, manners and a short explanation of what we might see at the orchards.

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Morning meeting
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Waiting in line to leave
The girls lined up at the door and we headed around the house to the car. I had already had their parents load in the carseats. The ride to the orchard wasn't too long, about 40 minutes or so.

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Loading up!

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
We're ready!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
On our way!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Are we there yet?
After about 40 minutes we arrived at the farm. We unloaded and started walking towards the orchard. The girls were so excited. A few of them had brought little camera's with them so they could take pictures of everything. 
fgdfgdfrrrr_011
Finally!
It was a small walk to the orchard and the girls were taking pictures of everything! We had a small talk once we got to the orchard about how to properly pick apples and that if we managed to get enough we could bake them a pie!


Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Making out way to the orchard
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Apples!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Our small meeting where we learned about apples and how to pick them
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Meeting time
The girls explored our small family orchard for a little while. They met the ol' beagle that sleeps on the front porch and met a few of the chickens. 

When it came time to start picking apples I went up the ladder first and showed the girls how I used to pick them as a kid. I would make a basket out of my shirt and hold them in it. Luckily, we had our own baskets. I let each child climb up the ladder (witch help and my supervisions of course!) and pick their very own apple all by themselves.

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
A & H Orchards



Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
A & H Orchards - Chickens!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
A & H Orchards

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Getting ready to pick!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Picking apples
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Picking Apples

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Ivy's turn!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
She got it!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Maelie's turn!
After we all picked a large share of apples we went inside for some well deserved lunch. Unfortunately .my lunch box and Ivy's seemed to have been mixed up. I had a rather unhealthy lunch that day. (sshh) Ivy ended up with my soda, and candy bar. Which.. lead her to being a bit hyper. She managed to get into it without me noticing. She didn't get it all.. but enough to cause some sugar rush. For dessert we had a fresh baked apple pie. Ivy.. thought it would be funny to try and rest her plate on her head and run around being silly. I tried to calm her sillies.. but she was too wound up. This was my fault.. I was not laughing although she found great humor in her 'pie hat'. She eventually calmed down and her plate was in the sink... and pie in her hair.
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Lunch time!



Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
pie hat and candy.. oh man. 
During lunch I had awarded the 'Superstar of the week' award. A pretty little headband with stars all over it. I award someone who I noticed that was helpful, had good listening ears, helped without being asked or showed extra kindness. This week it was DaisyRose. She had been exceptionally helpful all week long. She offered to share her lunch often and helped her friends pick up during class. I am so proud of her!

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
DaisyRose our Superstar!
After lunch was over and we had picked up. It was time to wash our apples so that we could make some apple cider. I had everyone come over to the sink to lay them in the water to be sure they were properly washed off.

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
My Sister, Kara and her apples!


Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Ivy adding her apples to the sink
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
DaisyRose adding her apples to the sink. Bella; Maelie's Mom came to visit us! 
Once all of our apples were properly cleaned we carried them outside to the cider press to make our very own cider to take home from the trip. I explained to everyone how a cider press works and what the difference between cider and apple juice is. We had a great time making our cider and filling our very own jars. There's nothing like home made cider!

Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Learning about the cider press and how to make apple cider
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Ivy's apples!
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Ivy and DaisyRose helped me jar all of the cider
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
A & H Homemade Organic Apple Cider 


While I cleaned up the cabin I let Ivy and DaisyRose play outside in the front yard. Maelie had gone home with her Mom - as she had come to visit us.


Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Playing on the apple cart
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
My sweet girl 
It was time to head home.. I had someone snap a photo of the girls and I with our apples and we headed into the car.
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Say Cheese!..apple? 
Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
Goodbye Apple Orchard!


Hadlee's Homeschool -Orchard Trip
What a beautiful day


We had a beautiful field trip. All of the girls were well behaved and the weather stayed beautiful! I'm a pretty lucky teacher!

Love,
  Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment