Monday, October 1, 2012

A case of the sniffles

                                             A case of the sniffles

I had noticed that Ivy had been coughing quite a bit lately. Especially last night at the barn while I was giving riding lessons. I brought her home after Saddle Club and gave her a little Tylenol and read her a story in bed before she went to sleep. I was a little worried she could be coming down with something - so the following morning I called the Dr. to make an appointment to get her cough checked out. Thankfully, they were able to get her in that afternoon.
I'd been down in the kitchen making some muffins for breakfast and I heard her little feet come down over the stairs - along with that dreaded cough. She sat down in her little TV rocker by the fireplace and turned on My Little Pony to watch while the muffin's cooled off. I mentioned to her that we had to go and visit the Dr. to help her cough out, and she naturally wasn't too happy with that idea. We spent the morning watching cartoons and generally laying low.

By the time afternoon rolled around her poor cough was starting to sound worse. I'm glad I had made that appointment. I packed up my purse and we were on our way to the Dr.'s Office. It's about a 45 minute drive from our house in the country - so we brought some fun silly music to listen to in the car on the way - I had really hoped she would fall asleep and get a nap in on the way.
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Getting ready to leave

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Here we go

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
SHC Hospital 
We finally arrived at the hospital. Ivy was really getting a bit nervous now. We walked in together - and instantly that 'hospital smell' came over me. We were met at the desk by her pediatrician and another nurse. Ivy clung to my leg nervously as the Dr. lead the way to the Pediatric Center.

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
This is it.. 
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Meeting the Dr. 
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Heading to the Pediatric Wing
The door the room was lined with little animals around it's edge. It was really quite inviting.. and I hoped it's brought Ivy some comfort as we went into the exam room. She was first weighed and then had her height checked.

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Ivy standing on the scale




Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Measuring her height
After both her height and weight were recorded she was placed up on the exam table. The Dr. asked me a few questions about her allergies and a few other things. She did the normal physical exam - and then Ivy coughed. I brought up to her about her recent coughing and that I had been a little worried about her.

She had listened to her lungs and she heard a bit of a 'wet cough' She was a bit bronchial. She prescribed me some children's Robitussin and some Tylenol - she had a low grade fever. She continued on her exam and asked me to return a week later for a re-check. Ivy was given a sticker for her amazing behavior in the exam room.

Ivy's Dr. Appointment


Ivy's Dr. Appointment

We left the room with our instructions and headed out of the hospital and to the car. Luckily, there was a Wall*Mart down the road we could go and visit to pick up our things.


Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Leaving the Hospital
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
All done!
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Helping her into her carseat
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Pharmacy Bound

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
On our way
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Headed to Wall*Mart
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Wall*Mart Parking Lot
Once inside the store I picked up a cart and let Ivy ride in the front. We went down the food aisles and I picked up a few things for the house. Ice cream, chicken, and some fish. After shopping around the store for a while and picking up some medications  - we came across a "Pick - A - Pal" I told Ivy in the car that she could pick out a toy at the store for being so brave at the Dr. She picked out a ballerina bear to build!


Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Food Shopping
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Food Shopping
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Pick A Pal!
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Ivy's new bear
We got everything settled and paid for and headed for home. Ivy was getting a bit tired and in need of a nap. We headed to the car to pack everything up.


Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Groceries
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Time to head home

Ivy's Dr. Appointment

When I started the car back up in the Wall*Mart parking lot, my gas light came on. Go figure. Luckily, there was a gas station just across the street. I pulled in as quickly as I could and hopped out to pump gas. While I was pumping gas a stray dog came wandering up to me. She was definitely homeless and looking a bit ragged. I wasn't sure what to do with her, really.

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Stray dog.
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Pumping Gas
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Ivy watching
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Petting the dog
The dog eventually walked away and headed down the road. I was a little concerned for her - so I put in a call to the local shelter and hoped someone would come out and pick her up. 

Across the street there was a car wash - Ivy hadn't been in through one for a long time - so I decided to lift our spirits we would spin through and have a giggle in the carwash.


Ivy's Dr. Appointment Ivy's Dr. Appointment Ivy's Dr. Appointment Ivy's Dr. Appointment Ivy's Dr. Appointment

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Ivy's shocked face
Finally, it was time to make the long drive home. Ivy had her new teddy bear, I had her medicine and hopefully she would have a nap on the long drive home.

Ivy's Dr. Appointment

Ivy's Dr. Appointment

Ivy's Dr. Appointment

Ivy's Dr. Appointment

Ivy's Dr. Appointment

We finally arrived home. Ivy had fallen asleep in the car and I picked her up and carried her inside. I set her in front of the TV in her favorite spot for some cartoons while I unloaded the groceries and measured out her first dose of medicine.

Ivy's Dr. Appointment
My sleepy girl
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Cartoons fix everything
Ivy's Dr. Appointment
Putting away the groceries


Overall, we had a long day. I hope that Ivy feels a bit better soon. Her medicine should start taking effect tomorrow. It is that time of year afterall.. flu season is upon us. Hoping for a healthy happy fall and winter!

Love, 
 Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment