Monday, August 20, 2012

Beauty Sleepover

Beauty Sleepover

  Last night my little friend, Maelie came over for a visit and sleepover. She had not been over to the house for a while and I was more than happy to have her! We were thinking "What can we do, what can we do?" It was evening and starting to get dark so outdoor play wasn't going to be an option for long. Then it hit me. Makeover time! This is something I love to do. I asked her if she'd like me to paint her nails. She said "Yahh! Pink!" So we went into the living room and sat on the floor. My Little Pony was on the TV behind us and I started to paint her little teeny tiny nails. She then expressed she would like 6 white polka dots on each nail. How cute were these going to be?! 



As I finished up one hand, I asked her to blow on her nails and reminded her she can't touch anything or they will smudge. She told me "I canned do that" She sat there very still and blew on her nails while I worked on her other hand. They looked so pretty all pink! I held her hands up for her "Look, Mae! Perfect pink nails!" She was so excited. I reached for one hand and gently dabbed my fingertips on each nail to make sure they were dry and ready for the white dots. I used a small toothpick to gently dot each nail with 6 white polka dots! 
She held them up proudly and I took a picture with my cell phone. We decided I should send it to her Mother, Bella. I quickly sent her the text, and her reply was that they were "Beautiful!" 

Picture message to Bella

Next it was my turn to do the same thing. Maelie said because my nails are bigger, I should have 10 dots!

I quickly painted my nails as she watched some TV. Then we both held our hands and squeaked how pretty they were. We had matching princess nails! 



While I had been painting my nails I mentioned to her we could wear some beauty masks. I had done this at camp and Mae had been there for it. She asked me "The chocolate kind?" It sure was! We raced into the kitchen and I set her up on the countertop and was going to paint the mask on her face. I took out a small bowl of fruit for a 'lil snack for us too.. and who knows maybe an eye mask or two.



At first I just dabbed a little of the mask on her nose with a small makeup brush. She laughed and tried to lick it off. She was pretty cute sitting up there. Then, I drew an M and a G on each cheek for her name. She laughed because it tickled her so. I finally finished up her face and next was me..
She said she wanted to paint my face for me.. so, I handed over the brush shut my eyes and leaned forward. It was hard trying to hold still. She tried to draw me a heart on my cheek and laughed while trying. She told me we were going to be the most beautiful girls. 
Finally, we were covered. We had to wait for the masks to dry before we could take them off. So.. why not dance? I helped her down off the counter and raced her into the living room. Turning on the radio and turned the volume way up. We danced quite a bit in the living room and laughed harder than I have in a long time. She told me "You got moves!" 



My mask was starting to really dry now. It gets that itchy tight feeling, y'know? You girls know for sure! I stopped our little dancing and grabbed some little cucumber slices for our eyes. She asked me why we had to do this. I explained that it's nice and cool for our eyes and helps our skin look beautiful. We took a quick silly picture and took them off and headed to the kitchen to get the masks off.


I carried her into the kitchen and set her carefully in the sink. She told me she wanted to try to peel it off herself ~ I explained to her previously that you can peel them yourself sometimes. It was almost like peeling glue off your hands when it dries. I knew that would get her attention. She did a pretty good job on her own. She got it nearly all peeled off. I used a soft damp cloth to wash her face off. While she had been working on getting her mask off, I peeled mine and washed my own face a bit with a cloth. 

We had settled back into the living room when I heard the doorbell ring "Helllooo?!" It was my sister and my little niece, Giselle. I ran to the door and let them in. They had been out on a walk and decided to drop in for a visit. I explained to them what Mae and I had been up to and that she was going to sleep over for the night. I invited them as well. They were both really exited about the idea. So they ran down over the hill, over the bridge and to their house to grab sleeping bags and pj's. Maelie and I got some cookies out and and I let her watch some MLP on tv while we waited. We had both had a few cookies in our belly now, I thought we'd better save a few for my sis and Gissy. I stood up and looked out the window.. it had started to rain again. This is the bugger about living on an island in the ocean - rain. It really likes to storm out here. So, I send a quick text to my sis "You two fashionista's okay down there?" She I am sure, laughed. She called be back and explained she was driving back to the house and the car was packed up. (I missed all of these photo's..darn it! I don't like when I miss them!) We saw them pull in the driveway and I yelled for them to come indoors. Mae and I had already set up two sleeping bags on the living room floor and rolled them out. Now with two more people sleeping here, I'd  have to push the couch back and the table. I pushed the couch back against the entryway to the classroom, and tucked the table along with it. 

Just as soon as I mentioned to both of them - "You can use my room, or Ivy's to change if you like" Giselle had jumped over the couch and hidden in the stairwell to change. We all chuckled, and Kara headed upstairs to change. 

While Giselle was changing I asked her how she was going to get back over the couch.. she laughed and said "Umm.. I haven't gotten that far." Then retorted with "Oh, I will go out the classroom door and around and come in the front" 

Well, if you were with us the last time it had rained at night.. Giselle ran outdoors to play in it and slipped down the hill and hurt her ankle. 

"No, no. I will help you over the top, I don't want you walking outdoors at night with that slippery grass. I don't want you to fall, okay?"

She wasn't happy with my answer. 

"Don't talk to me, don't listen to me and don't talk to ME!" Giselle wasn't pleased.

At this point, Kara had some down the stairs "Giselle Elizabeth Adored. Who are you talking to like that, I sure hope not Auntie Meg" 

I quietly explained what had happened earlier.. They went outdoors in search of a slipper and upon their return Gissy had an apology for me and I explained to her that I want to keep her safe when she's at my house, or anywhere. That I love her very much and I was scared that she was going to get hurt or fall down. I can't keep her safe if I can't see her, especially at night time. 

We all set up for the night and I pulled out a brand new book that I'd not read yet. The girls were curled up in their sleeping bags for a good bedtime story. Even Pickles came around to hear it. 

Squish Bunny
After the story I was nearly falling asleep myself. We all snuggled into our sleeping bags and said our goodnights. The rain continued to pitter patter outdoors on the deck. What a way to end the day.


Goodnight, Moon
Goodnight from the Hadlee House
 Love,
   Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment